We may be in early June, but for digital retail marketers, it’s never too soon to start thinking about the holidays- and you can’t think ‘holiday’ without thinking ‘email’ – at least if you’re a retail marketer.
According to eMarketer, the email channel drove 20% of digital purchases during the US holiday season in 2015, which ties it for second with direct traffic (i.e. going directly to the website) behind organic traffic. That means that short of people going strait to a website from search or their browser, email is the most efficient way to drive holiday sales.
While it’s only June, we thought we’d outline two strategies that retailers can use to leverage the email channel to maximize holiday sales:
Start Building a Better Email List Now.
Because email is such a driver of revenue, one way for retailers to prepare for the holidays in the summertime is to run customer acquisition campaigns via platforms like LiveIntent. Here are some best practices:
1. Consider the Source: Where an email address come from is incredibly important. You’ll want to make sure that the people you’re building your list with are people that might grow into customers and are active and receptive to engagement in the email channel. At LiveIntent, for example, we know that every person on our platform actively opens and engages with email.
2. Provide Value and Set Expectations: If you want people to give you an email address, you have to give them something in return, whether it’s content, special offers, or something else. Think about what you can give them that no one else can and then make it really easy for them to give you their email to get it. Now that person knows what to expect from you in the future and the channel in which they’re going to receive it: email.
3. Be Honest and Upfront: Whether on the landing page, the confirmation email, or any subsequent emails, always make sure that the person receiving the email knows why they are receiving it and where they can go to manage their subscriptions or even unsubscribe. That one’s not just a good for maintaining a quality list… it’s the law.
To speak with someone at LiveIntent about building your email list, visit our Contact Us page here.
Maximize the Value of Your Email List with CRM Retargeting.
Although email is an extremely efficient channel for driving revenue, there are two fundamental challenges for marketers.
1. Even if you have an extremely successful email campaign, only about 20% of people are going to open. That means that 80% of your list (and for retailers, this list is made up of either repeat or potential customers) is getting your marketing message. If email drives so much revenue from just that engaged 20%, it stands to reason that reaching the other 80% of subscribers would help to drive incremental revenue.
2. Email fatigue. According to eMarketer, two-thirds of consumers who receive five or more retailer emails per week feel like that is too many, and the marketers sending these emails run the risk of turning away new and existing customers.
The answer? CRM Retargeting.
CRM retargeting allows you to reach existing email segments with individualized messaging, more often, without sending more email. Once the holidays come around (and before, if you so choose), online retail marketers can use CRM Retargeting to maximize the value of their list without compromising quality.
For example, let’s say you sell shoes.
Customer Tom likes shoes, so he gives you his email address after clicking on an ad on the LiveIntent platform.
While Tom loves your emails, come Black Friday, he gets so many retail emails, he misses you offer for 20% off. So you include Tom in a CRM Retargeting campaign with the same offer. Then, when Tom does open his New York Times alert about the old lady that beat up a priest during the Black Friday rushes, he sees your offer and converts from the safety of his kitchen! And since CRM Retargeting is based on the email address in platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Google, and email, you’re able to target your customers on any device with 100% accuracy, without the inexactness of cookies.
So while the holidays are 6 months away, it’s never too early to start utilizing these strategies to increase your online holiday sales:
1. Build a better email list of people active in the email channel so you get more opens.
2. Increase the reach and frequency of these campaigns using CRM Retargeting.
To speak to someone at LiveIntent about reaching more customers more often this Holiday season, visit our Contact Us page here.