In this installment of our 5 ways to maximize your email marketing with LiveIntent, we’re going to take a look at ways to increase brand awareness with an untapped premium display channel and audience:
Wikipedia tells us that the word ‘Branding’ comes from the Old Norse ‘brandr’, which means to burn. We didn’t read past that point, but we confidently assume that those Norsemen of old were referring to the fact that many advertisers end up burning through their advertising budgets without much to show for it when running branding campaigns.
Several hundred years later, and we’re living through a digital marketing bonanza the likes of which those Vikings could only dream about, with their meager dial-up technology and crude shipbuilding techniques. But even so, advertisers are still looking for ways to increase brand awareness with the right people, in premium inventory, without burning money (figuratively or literally) on bad inventory.
But what exactly defines “bad inventory”? Or, perhaps a better question would be, what defines “good inventory”?
Regardless of the industry or vertical, most brands are looking for a 5 basic things for branding campaigns:
1. Scale: If you’re looking for lift, you need to be reaching a massive audience. It doesn’t matter how targeted the audience is, if it’s too small, you’re not going to see much of an impact
2. Audience: It doesn’t matter how many people you reach if they’re the wrong people. For instance, if you’re selling cat food, you don’t buy a sponsorship at The Westminster Dog Show.
3. Source: comScore recently released a report that found ads on premium publishers’ sites are 3X more effective at boosting brand favorability. Why? Because when your brand is next to content from a source they trust, that trust is naturally bestowed on your brand. It also works the other way around.
4. Uniqueness: This might be the most difficult one to find. Where aren’t you already reaching people? If you’re looking to increase lift and reach with a net-new audience, you need to find a new channel that has everything mentioned above, AND you aren’t already using.
5. Attention: Did I say number 4 was the most difficult to find? Scratch that. This one is by far the hardest to come by – and perhaps the most important. Because if they’re not paying attention, nothing else matters.
So where can you find an untapped premium display channel that check all these boxes? Email.
LiveIntent has made it possible for publishers to sell ads in their email inventory the same way they do on the web, with real-time, dynamic targeting and optimization, opening up brand new people-based display inventory and audience for brands that offers:
1. Scale: This is an exclusive audience of over 140MM people – greater reach that of Twitter, Pinterest, Snapchat or LinkedIn in the US. And since this audience is measured against Uniques tied to deterministic email identity data – and not cookies – you know that number is both exact and bot-free.
2. Audience: This is an audience that doesn’t just have a passing interest in the content – they love it so much, they’ve given permission to the publisher to actually send it to them on a regular basis. And with real-time, login-based demographic targeting, you can always find your audience, regardless of device, time zone or time of day.
3. Source: This is the best, curated content from over 1300 of the world’s most trusted publishers and brands, including The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Conde Nast, and Hearst.
4. Uniqueness: There is no other way to reach audiences at scale within the email channel. Chances are, it’s the best display inventory you’re not already buying. Not bragging. Just saying.
5. Attention: According to Adobe, people spend an average 6.3 hours a day in email. That’s more time than they spend watching TV, going on Facebook, listening to music, eating, and pretty much anything else that isn’t an involuntary biological ‘design feature’. If you want to be where people are paying attention, you can’t do much better than email.
Does it work?
All of that sounds great, but most advertisers want to know about results. Here’s an example of how an advertiser worked with LiveIntent to increase brand awareness:
A leading financial services company wanted to be thought of as more than ‘just a bank’. The company turned to LiveIntent to implement a brand study. After running a branding campaign with LiveIntent, the advertiser saw:
> 42% increase in awareness and brand perception.
73% higher CTR than their average campaign performance.
To talk to a real, live human being about how you can increase brand awareness by reaching an untapped premium display channel and audience, fill out the form out on our Contact Us Page.
In our next post, we’ll take a look at how email can be an excellent acquisition channel for digital marketers.